Current:Home > FinanceThe first wrongful-death trial in Travis Scott concert deaths has been delayed -EquityZone
The first wrongful-death trial in Travis Scott concert deaths has been delayed
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 17:27:06
HOUSTON (AP) — The start of the first civil trial stemming from the 2021 Astroworld festival, at which 10 people were killed in a crowd surge, has been delayed.
Jury selection had been set to begin next Tuesday in the wrongful-death lawsuit filed the family of Madison Dubiski, a 23-year-old Houston resident who was killed during the crowd crush at the Nov. 5, 2021, concert by rap superstar Travis Scott.
But Apple Inc., one of the more than 20 defendants going to trial next week, filed an appeal this week, automatically delaying the start of jury selection.
“Unless I hear differently, the trial is stayed,” state District Judge Kristen Hawkins said during a court hearing Thursday.
Apple, which livestreamed Scott’s concert, is appealing a ruling by Hawkins that denied the company’s motion to be dismissed from the case. Apple has argued that under Texas law, it can appeal Hawkins’ ruling because its defense claims are being made in part as a member of the electronic media.
Apple is arguing that in livestreaming Scott’s concert, it was acting as a member of the electronic media and its actions merit free speech protection.
“It remains our position that our conduct is protected by the First Amendment,” Kent Rutter, one of Apple’s attorneys, told Hawkins during a court hearing Thursday.
Hawkins said she hopes to hear from the appeals court by Monday, but there is no timetable for a decision.
Lawyers for Dubiski’s family have alleged that her death was caused by negligent planning and a lack of concern over capacity at the event. Her lawyers allege that how Apple placed its cameras around the concert site affected the placement of barriers and reduced available crowd space by the main stage.
Rutter argued that it was broadcasting an event “with significant public interest” and that by doing so, it was acting as a member of the media and gathering news.
But Jason Itkin, one of the attorneys for Dubiski’s family, said that Apple has described itself in business records as a company that makes smartphones and computers but doesn’t mention of news or news reporting. Itkin added that the company’s Apple News app is a subscription service that aggregates the stories of other news organizations.
“This is not a free speech case. They know that,” Itkin said.
During the hearing, Hawkins appeared skeptical about Apple’s claims about being a member of the electronic media, asking Rutter that if a livestream were set up in a zoo to watch animals, would that be news.
“Yes, it would be,” Rutter said.
Over 4,000 plaintiffs filed hundreds of lawsuits following the concert. Dubiski’s case had been chosen by attorneys in the litigation to be the first to go to trial. More than 20 defendants, including Scott, Apple and Live Nation, the festival’s promoter, had been set to go on trial Tuesday.
Following a police investigation, a grand jury last year declined to indict Scott, along with five others connected to the festival.
___
Follow Juan A. Lozano: https://twitter.com/juanlozano70
veryGood! (661)
Related
- Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
- Enough signatures collected to force recall election for Wisconsin GOP leader, commission says
- In Karen Read’s murder trial, was it deadly romance or police corruption? Jurors must decide
- Only 1 in 5 workers nearing retirement is financially on track: It will come down to hard choices
- 2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
- To understand Lane Kiffin's rise at Mississippi, you have to follow along with Taylor Swift
- Masked intruder pleads guilty to 2007 attack on Connecticut arts patron and fake virus threat
- Two courts just blocked parts of Biden's SAVE student loan repayment plan. Here's what to know.
- The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
- Mother of Chicago woman missing in the Bahamas says she’s `deeply concerned’ about her disappearance
Ranking
- Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
- New Jersey man flew to Florida to kill fellow gamer after online dispute, police say
- Chase Briscoe to take over Martin Truex Jr. car at Joe Gibbs Racing in 2025 NASCAR season
- This Longtime Summer House Star Is Not Returning for Season 9
- Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
- First-round order and top prospects for 2024 NHL draft
- Tori Spelling Reveals She Once Got a Boob Job at a Local Strip Mall
- 5 potential Brandon Aiyuk landing spots if 49ers, WR can't reach a deal
Recommendation
Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
Masked intruder pleads guilty to 2007 attack on Connecticut arts patron and fake virus threat
'The Bear' Season 3: New release date, time, cast, trailer, where to watch
CDK Global says outages to continue through June 30 after supplier hack
Average rate on 30
Burning off toxins wasn't needed after East Palestine train derailment, NTSB says
Judge blocks Michigan’s abortion waiting period, 2 years after voters approved abortion rights
Princess Anne, King Charles III's sister, hospitalized with concussion